You've already earned your money. You don't have to pay for it too.
BankOn Hattiesburg is a collaboration between financial institutions, community-based organizations, and local government to empower people and families to improve their financial health and independence. Together, we work to connect people to safe, affordable, and certified banking accounts while connecting them to financial education resources.
BankOn Hattiesburg has resources and partners within the community to provide financial education whether it's in a classroom, online, or individually as needed.
Why open an account?
- Save Money | The average unbanked person can spend $40,000 in unnecessary fees in their lifetime using alternative financial services. BankOn-ceritfied accounts won't allow you to overdraft, eliminating high-cost fees.
- Invest in Your Future | Utilize savings through banking to put towards schooling, homeownership, or entrepreneurship.
- Ease of Access | BankOn accounts offer online and mobile banking options giving you 24/7 hour access to the money you've earned. Customers can direct deposit their paycheck and use a debit card for everyday purchases.
- Security | Unbanked individuals are more likely to be victims of crime by keeping cash in their homes. Your money in a bank or credit union account is safe and insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC).
- Gain Financial Stability | Research shows that having a bank account makes it easier to reduce debt and improve credit scores.
4 easy steps to open an account today:
BankOn Hattiesburg partners with banking institutions covering Forrest, Lamar, Marion, and Perry counties. The following BankOn certified accounts are accessible at all branches to qualified individuals.
When opening an account, you may need to bring with you some paperwork to make the process as simple as possible. Things to remember:
- Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)
- Identification: This could be a state-issued ID like a driver's license, passport, or other country-issued identification card
- Mailing address
- Date of birth
Visit the bank or credit union branch of your choice and ask about the specific account you'd like to open to a teller. They'll guide you to the best person to speak with. You may select a bank based on a previous experience, a recommendation from a friend, or simply which branch is closest to your home or workplace. BankOn-certified accounts meet the same standards and criteria to simplify the choice.
Once with a banking representative, they'll walk you through the steps, beginning to end! As a customer, you can start saving immediately and always access financial education resources should you ever need a refresher.
United Way of Southeast Mississippi Economic Mobility Council:
Carlos Brown, PriorityOne Bank
Betty-Braden Graham, Community Bank
Juli Martinez, Hope Community Collective
Ann McCullen, Edwards Street Fellowship Center
Betsy Mercier, City of Hattiesburg
Akwete Muhammad, Habitat for Humanity
Jennifer Picazo, Trustmark Bank
Latreaka Rankin, Regions Bank
Adam Roberts, BancorpSouth
Kelvin M. Bishop, The First Bank
Lisa Salcedo, Hancock Whitney
Cheree Sanders, Magnolia State Bank
Lori Siccone, Citizens National Bank
Justavius Tate, Hancock Whitney
Maggie West, Christian Services
Want to get involved? Email email@example.com.