United Way of Southeast Mississippi’s Initiative grant provides funding opportunities for organizations to implement innovative projects that address a community need in the areas of health, education and/or financial stability. These funds are restricted to one-time expenses or short-term projects that will have a positive impact in Forrest, Lamar, Marion and Perry counties. Initiative grant funds are not designed to support ongoing program expenses, sponsor annual events or fund capital campaigns. The maximum amount available is $5,000 and grants are awarded on a rolling basis throughout the year except in October and November.
- Proposed projects must align with the mission of United Way of Southeast Mississippi by addressing a need in education, health or financial stability.
- Proposed projects must serve a population located within Forrest, Lamar, Marion and/or Perry counties.
- Proposed projects must benefit a 501(c) non-profit organization.
- Funds must be spent in the fiscal year they are received (fiscal year is April 1-March 31).
- Grant recipients must submit a one-page summary of the project outcomes within three months of completion.
Application Review & Timeline: Applications are accepted on a rolling basis throughout the year except in October and November, and are reviewed by the United Way of Southeast Mississippi Community Impact Executive Committee. Applicants will receive a confirmation of receipt from the director of community impact within a week of submission and funding decisions will be communicated within a month. Only one application can be submitted per project, per fiscal year.